Apply with your Open Science initiative now!
Do you use Open Science to make your research/teaching/learning more accessible, transparent or reproducible? Do you have an example of how you have engaged with Open Science as part of your work process(es) that you want to share to inspire others?
The ENLIGHT Open Science Award will be awarded for the first time. ENLIGHT RISE views Open Education, Open Science and their associated genuine engagement processes as key enablers to carry out the ENLIGHT R&I agenda, together with the surrounding ecosystems of the nine participating universities. We are looking for initiatives or projects that contribute to the ENLIGHT Open Science agenda, and that promote Open Science within the ENLIGHT community, network and beyond.
The ENLIGHT Open Science Award recognizes and rewards students, lecturers, researchers, scientific staff, staff members, individuals or groups affiliated to one of the nine ENLIGHT Universities who either
- have used Open Science to make their research/teaching/learning/work more accessible, transparent or reproducible,
- have initiated an activity on Open Science at their institution,
- support the ENLIGHT community to adopt and implement Open Science practices and/or principles in their work.
Up to two initiatives/projects that serve as an example for others will be selected by an ENLIGHT committee. The awards will be handed over to the winners at the ENLIGHT Open Science Webinar by the ENLIGHT Open Science ambassadors on 25 April 2023. The winners will be invited to showcase their projects during the award ceremony and the projects will also be announced on the ENLIGHT website and newsletter.
How to apply: Please submit a description of your initiative or project that shows how you engage with Open Science. Submissions that explore challenges are as welcome as those that have positive experiences and successful outcomes. We are looking for inspiring and realistic accounts for using Open Science as part of the research/teaching/work process.
The 2023 call for applications opens on 11 January 2023 and will close on 28 February 2023. Winners will be informed by 1 April 2023. The ENLIGHT committee will rank the submissions and the two selected initiatives/projects will each showcase their project and receive a prize at the Ambassador webinar on Open Science practices on 25 April 2023 (1-2pm CET).
WHAT IS IN IT FOR YOU?
Each ENLIGHT Open Science award recognizes the Open Science initiative/project of the successful awardees. More concretely, it provides:
- Increased visibility to your Open Science approach and project through the ENLIGHT website, ENLIGHT social media, international workshops and conferences (e.g. ENLIGHT Open Science Ambassador Webinar);
- Travel support of 750 Euro to attend relevant international workshops/conferences where the OS activities and ENLIGHT are presented (e.g. poster, presentation). These workshops/conferences could be identified by either the awardee or the ENLIGHT Open Science team. ENLIGHT payment of workshops/conferences attendance is conditional on prior consent by the ENLIGHT Open Science team and valid for one individual (or one representative in case of project teams) per awarded initiative/project over the course of the 2023/2024 period;
- The possibility of being part of a wide-reaching network of ENLIGHT universities, in close contact with the ENLIGHT Open Science ambassadors and with the possibility of connecting also with other Open Science networks where ENLIGHT is represented.
- The opportunity to support and influence ENLIGHT Open Science activities (e.g. speaker at webinars/events).
Further information regarding the application
Who can apply?
Individuals (students, lecturers, researchers, scientific staff, staff members…) or teams (naming one representative) from all disciplines currently working at an ENLIGHT University can showcase their experiences, pros and cons, and positive outcomes of Open Science methods in their field(s).
To apply for the ENLIGHT Open Science Award, at the time of the application the applying individual or team should be either:
Affiliated with one of the nine ENLIGHT universities. Researchers or teams from any discipline are eligible to apply.
Researchers or staff members are not eligible to apply with a project that a) has already won an Open Science award somewhere else or b) has been submitted to another award application.
In the case of applications submitted by a team, one person must lead the application and submit it on behalf of the whole team.
Initiatives/projects can apply if they are active at the time of application (please provide verifiable evidence) or have ended recently. Projects that are still in the planning stage are not eligible.
Applicants indicate how they would use the award to foster Open Science in the ENLIGHT network, and how we can follow up on this.
Who receives the prize?
The prize will be awarded to the selected applicant. The prize is dedicated to a specific project in the field of Open Science at the institution conceived by the applicant.
A committee of representatives from the ENLIGHT Open Science Ambassadors and members of the ENLIGHT Open Science Team will choose the winners out of all applications.
Criteria to assess the applications
Application of Open Science methods/principles to the initiative/project (OA, data sharing, etc.)
Feasibility of subsequent use in similar or other disciplines
Added value for the ENLIGHT community
Bonus points for good practice principles applied (e.g. diversity, inclusion)
Affiliation to one of the ENLIGHT universities
Active project or ended up to one year ago
Opening of call: 11 January 2023
Deadline for application: 28 February 2023
Selection procedure: 1-31 March 2023
Announcement of winners: 31 March 23
Open Science Awards Webinar Ceremony: 25 April 2023 (1pm-2pm)
How to apply
Please fill out the application form
Please keep to the length of two pages in total when applying.
Disclaimer, terms and conditions
- With submitting the application form I declare that at the moment of signing this declaration I am enrolled at / affiliated with (name of the home institution).
- With submitting the application form I confirm that all the information in this application is correct and complete to the best of my knowledge. In case I knowingly gave false statements my application will be excluded.
- As far as my own personal data is concerned, with submitting the application form, I agree that ENLIGHT and the team of the Open Science Award including the jury members can use my personal data for the application and award process and everything related to the award ceremony. I can revoke my consent at any time.
- In case I provided personal information about third parties involved I hereby confirm that I lawfully obtained the information and that I am entitled to passing on the information to ENLIGHT for this application. I hereby confirm to abide by the data protection policy information.
- With submitting the application form, I agree that ENLIGHT can use and publish the pictures and documentation emerging from the application and the award ceremony of the Open Science Award in all forms (online, print etc.)
Terms and conditions
Participation in the ENLIGHT Open Science Award is free and on a voluntary basis. Your participation will involve the collection and processing of personal data (such as your name, email address and affiliation, among others). This information will be processed pursuant to the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, which repealed Directive 95/45/EC (General Data Protection Regulation). The data you provide will be used by ENLIGHT to evaluate your application. The data you provide will be solely used for these purposes.
The data will be processed exclusively for the following purposes: judging for the ENLIGHT Open Science Award and Public relations activities in relation to the ENLIGHT Open Science Award: the publication of my name, a description of my project and, where necessary, photographs as part of public relations activities if I am selected for the ENLIGHT Open Science Award.
The following kinds of personal data and information will be collected and processed: last name and first name, institutional affiliation, email address, and—if awarded—the judging evaluation.
Recipients / categories of recipients
My personal data will be transmitted to the following recipients: Members of the ENLIGHT Open Science Award working group, members of the judging panel (see call for applications). This serves the following purposes: judging for the ENLIGHT Open Science Award; allows contact to be made by members of the project. Should I be selected for the ENLIGHT Open Science Award, my name, the description of my project, and—where necessary—photographs/videos will be transmitted to other institutions involved in the ENLIGHT Open Science Award program.
Period of storage
Processing as part of the public relations activities conducted by ENLIGHT is limited to 2 years.