One of the priorities of the European Commission is to fight the climate crisis and achieve climate neutrality in Europe by 2050. Research and innovation are to accelerate and navigate transformative changes, create solutions and engage citizens in the process. To this end, the Commission is allocating €1 billion under the last and biggest call of Horizon 2020: the Green Deal call is open and published on https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/strategy/european-green-deal/.
Horizon Europe – Green Missions click to scroll down for details
The European Commission’s €100 billion research and innovation programme Horizon Europe https://ec.europa.eu/info/horizon-europe-next-research-and-innovation-framework-programme_en is going to succeed Horizon 2020 and begin in 2021.
The missions funded in Horizon Europe https://ec.europa.eu/info/horizon-europe-next-research-and-innovation-framework-programme/missions-horizon-europe_en are ambitious initiatives with the goal of developing solutions to major societal challenges. To achieve this goal, the Commission engages with stakeholders from innovation, research, policymaking, civil society and relevant organisations in the design, monitoring and assessment of the missions.
The five proposed mission areas support the European Green Deal and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- Conquering cancer: Mission Possible
- A Climate Resilient Europe - Prepare Europe for climate disruptions and accelerate the transformation to a climate resilient and just Europe by 2030
- Mission Starfish 2030: Restore our Ocean and Waters
- 100 Climate-Neutral Cities by 2030 - by and for the citizens
- Caring for Soil is Caring for Life
Researchers will be able to submit project proposals in regular calls for proposals.
Information Events click to scroll down for details
Online │ Green Deal Call (General Brokerage Event) │ 13.-14.10.2020
The Enterprise Europe Network in partnership with Enterprise Ireland, Invest NI and Northern Ireland National Contract Points (NCPs) invites you to participate in an international partnering event on the Green Deal Call. It will take place from 13 October 2020 to 14 October 2020. This is a FREE one-day virtual event that will introduce the Green Deal call for proposals, present insights and expectations from the EU Commission whilst offering a unique international networking experience. The programme will include presentations from the EU Commission and NCPs in all areas of the Green Deal, and will provide a unique opportunity to pitch ideas and expertise in front of leading research organisations and cutting-edge innovators from across industry. A registration until 02 October 2020 is necessary.
More information on the Virtual Brokerage Event
Online │ Green Deal Call: Focus on SSH (Info and Brokerage Event) │ 27.10.2020
To foster opportunities for cooperation in the Horizon 2020 Green Deal Call, Net4Society organises a Virtual Brokerage event, focused on topics relevant for researchers from the Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH). This event will take place on 27 October 2020 and it will focus on the SSH topics of the Green Deal call. After an information session with the participation of the EU Commission and the Research Executive Agency, participants will have the opportunity to engage in previously appointed bilateral meetings using the platform B2Match. A registration until 23 October 2020 is necessary. This event is free of charge.
More information on the Virtual Brokerage Event
Green Deal Topics click to scroll down for details
Call area 1: Increasing climate ambition: cross-sectoral challenges
- Topic 1: Preventing and fighting extreme wildfires with the integration and demonstration of innovative means
- Topic 2: Towards climate-neutral and socially innovative cities
- Topic 3: Climate-resilient innovation packages for EU regions
Call area 2: Clean, affordable and secure energy
- Topic 1: Innovative land-based and offshore renewable energy technologies and their integration into the energy system
- Topic 2: Develop and demonstrate a 100 MW electrolyser upscaling the link between renewables and commercial/industrial applications
- Topic 3: Accelerating the green transition and energy access Partnership with Africa
Call area 3: Industry for a clean and circular economy
- Topic 1: Closing the industrial carbon cycle to combat climate change - Industrial feasibility of catalytic routes for sustainable alternatives to fossil resources
- Topic 2: Demonstration of systemic solutions for the territorial deployment of the circular economy
Call area 4: Energy and resource-efficient buildings
- Topic: Building and renovating in an energy and resource efficient way
Call area 5: Sustainable and smart mobility
- Topic: Green airports and ports as multimodal hubs for sustainable and smart mobility
Call area 6: Farm to Fork
- Topic: Testing and demonstrating systemic innovations in support of the Farm-to-Fork Strategy
Call area 7: Restoring biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Topic: Restoring biodiversity and ecosystem services
Call area 8: Zero-pollution, toxic-free environment
- Topic 1: Innovative, systemic zero-pollution solutions to protect health, environment and natural resources from persistent and mobile chemicals
- Topic 2: Fostering regulatory science to address combined exposures to industrial chemicals and pharmaceuticals: from science to evidence-based policies
Call area 9: Strengthening our knowledge in support of the European Green Deal
- Topic 1: European Research Infrastructures capacities and services to address European Green Deal challenges
- Topic 2: Developing end-user products and services for all stakeholders and citizens supporting climate adaptation and mitigation
- Topic 3: Transparent & Accessible Seas and Oceans: Towards a Digital Twin of the Ocean
Call area 10: Empowering citizens for transition towards a climate neutral, sustainable Europe
- Topic 1: European capacities for citizen deliberation and participation for the Green Deal
- Topic 2: Behavioural, social and cultural change for the Green Deal
- Topic 3: Enabling citizens to act on climate change, for sustainable development and environmental protection through education, citizen science, observation initiatives, and civic engagement
For all topics, the deadline for submission is 26 January 2021.
Find more information and apply here.